Thursday, July 29, 2010

S'mores Cupcakes




All I have to say is holy crap these were gooood! I originally saw a recipe for this in Martha Stewart's book but then I found and even better version on one of my favorite blogs. I put the recipe in my folder and forgot about it for weeks and while I was planning my weekly menu, I came across this delicious cupcake. I hope you enjoy them as much as my husband and coworkers did.

Ingredients:
Graham Cracker Crust:
1 1/2 Cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 Cup Sugar
51/3Tbsp butter, melted
4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped

Cupcake:
2 Cups plus 2 Tbsp sugar
1 3/4 Cups flour
3/4 Cups plus 1Tbsp cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 Cup milk
1/2 Cup vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Cup boiling water

Frosting:
8 egg whites, at room temp.
2 Cups sugar
1/2 tsp. cream of tarter
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line 2 cupcake pans with the prettiest liners you have. In a small bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs (I use the ready made graham cracker crumbs), sugar and melted butter. Mix it all together and drop a spoonful into the bottom of each cupcake liner and press down with all your might. I used the bottom of my jar of Meat Magic seasoning. After all you have to make the best of what you've got. You may want to dip the bottom in sugar to prevent the graham crackers from sticking to the bottom of the jar. Now bake each pan for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven but maintain the temperature.

Now it's time to make the cake batter. Sift together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in your stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Mix on low just to combine. In another mixing bowl, combine the eggs, milk, vegetable oil and vanilla extract and whisk together. Now add this to the dry ingredients and mix on low speed. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then beat on medium for about 2 minutes. Add the boiling water and stir to combine. The batter will be very thin but don't worry the cupcakes will be perfect. Trust me!

Divide the batter evenly into each cupcake liner. I used about 2 tablespoons per liner. Bake each pan 18-20 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean. Don't forget to rotate the pans half through the baking. Let them cool about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

We can't forget the frosting. To make the frosting combine egg whites, sugar and cream of tarter in a double boiler. Heat and whisk constantly until a instant-read thermometer reads 160 degrees. Now whisk, off the heat and in a stand mixer, on low and increasing to medium-high until stiff, glossy, yummy peaks form. Mix in the vanilla until it's well combined. Frost cool cupcakes any way you like.

Bon Appetit!
Adapted from: Annie's Eats

2 comments:

  1. These look delicious. Did you toast the frosting with a torch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! They were so fun to make. I just used a kitchen torch I bought at Target to toast the frosting. Just be careful not to put the frosting to close to the flame because the toast very fast. The first one I did was a little too toasted.

    ReplyDelete