Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Spicy Shrimp Pasta



I've been making this dish for a while now and it has never let me down. I happened upon this recipe many years ago in a Southern Living Cookbook at my mother's house. It sounded so good that the book jumped in my car and insisted on going home with me, unbeknownst to my mother of course. The first time I made it was for my roommates at the time and they loved it. I've since made for countless others and of course my husband. It's always delicious and I can vary the spicyness (is that a word?) depending on who I'm making it for. And how can you go wrong with pasta and shrimp. I've never tried it with other seafood but I would love to make it one day with scallops. It's also great with whole wheat pasta. I'm typically not a fan of whole wheat pasta because of the consistency and I swear it has an odd taste but this recipes has such powerful flavors that even I can't taste whole wheatiness of whole wheat pasta.

Ingredients:
8 oz Fettuccine
1 lb Fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tbsp butter
1/4 C Chopped green onions
2 Garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
1/2 C Whipping cream
1/4 C Dry white wine
1/3 C Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
1 tsp Crushed red pepper flakes (I use much less)
1/3 C Fresh parsley, chopped

Directions:

Cook the pasta according to the package or if you're feeling really courageous cook fresh pasta.

Peel and devein shrimp and set aside

Melt the butter in a large skillet and add the green onions and garlic. Saute until tender and fragrant. Stir in the cajun seasoning and cook stirring occasionally for 1 minute.

Stir in the shrimp and whipping cream. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 3 minutes, stirring often. Stir in the wine and simmer for approximately 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Stir in the pasta, Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes. Toss gently until thoroughly heated. Now sprinkle with the parsley and serve immediately.



Adapted from: Southern Living Cookbook

No comments:

Post a Comment